To create a new synchronized mail-enabled user, do the following:
(note: This guide is for creating a mail-enabled user – to create a mailbox-enabled user follow this guide.)
- Create a user account from scratch or copy a template user.
- Open up user properties, select the Address tab, configure the country, and click Apply.
- Select the Office 365 tab, click Create in Office 365, and select Normal User.
- Select the Mailbox tab and click Mail Enable.
- Select the Office365 tab, click Proxy Addresses, configure the external email address, set it as the primary SMTP address, and set it as the remote routing address.
- Select Synchronize AD with Office 365 and click OK.